Meeting Mugardos

Among the most outstanding archaeological remains of Mugardos are the vestiges of the Latin presence, which can be seen in the site of Noville, a Roman villa from the third and fourth centuries.

The Roman village of Noville is located at the bottom of a small inlet, on the shore of the sea, very close to O Seixo. It has a U-shaped floor plan and has a patio open to the sea for water channeling. The remains of a primitive heating system were also found in the village.

Other interesting vestiges (from the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries) are those constituted by the Camiño da Calzada, in the place of A Redonda; it is a paved road for cars to the service of the monastery of Montefaro, on which Mugardos was legally dependent at the time.

We find another interesting place to visit in Casa da Serea or of the Mayor Mariño de la Barrera, situated in the port, built in the 16th century and remodeled in the XVIII; this construction still preserves the heraldic shield of the Mariño with the characteristic siren of which, according to this family, all its members go down.

There were other constructions of the 18th century but of them only ruinous remains and shields in the façades, as it s the case of the Pazo de Novás or the Pazo de Rega, in Boado remain.

There are, however, many examples of stately houses built in the 19th and 20th centuries. In the port is the Casa Dans Arrabal, with exposed stone and typical galleries of the seafaring houses. The Casa Cudilleiro, which has a mosaic of crystals framed by fine wooden bars on the façade.

In the heart of Mugardos, you will also find the Gelpi House, an eclectic style from 1910, a rectangular plan with numerous decorative elements in the galleries. It is now integrated into the Consistorial House, hosting the Plenary Hall among other rooms and the garden.

In the fishing village of O Seixo (birthplace of the aviator Xosé Piñeiro, an acrobat pilot and the first Galician to soar in an aircraft) we have two beautiful examples of seafaring constructions: the house of Bello Piñeiro, landscape painter, a singular figure in Galician art from the 19th century, who founded the Sociedade de Amigos da Paisaxe Galega; and precisely on the Avenida Pintor Bello Piñeiro, on the pier itself, an example of a traditional seafaring construction from the end of the 19th century, with the typical showy colours, is preserved.

There are also a good number of Indiano constructions that emerged when some of the many emigrants from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, made a fortune and promoted initiatives that helped to improve the living conditions of their countrymen. This is the case of Casino Progreso, Franza, in modernist style, or the Francisco Vizoso School Group, a few meters from the previous one. This School Group is now the Municipal Training Center where training courses are held, among other activities.

In 1921, the emigrants in Havana founded the Franza y Seijo School Institution. Also noteworthy is the Esperante Chalet in the centre of O Seixo with its eight-water roof, like an alpine chalet.